Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Foppa

I've heard rumors in the last week about the Senators being interested in Forsberg for next season.   I was pretty doubtful at first, since the Sens don't really have the cap room for Forsberg, unless he is willing to take less money to be on a Cup Finals team. But the rumor was more or less confirmed by a story on TSN today.  I have very mixed feelings about Forsberg joining the team.  Didn't they learn from the Hasek experiment?  Old, injury prone players will let you down come crunch time.  But speaking of Hasek, he rebounded to play a full season and playoffs for a surprising Wings team last year.  Maybe the Sens are counting on being the "rebound team" after Nashville had their own failed Forsberg Experiment last season.  I guess I'm just too much of a fan.  I was burned by JR coming to the Kings; while he did plenty of PR work and got on plenty of local TV shows, he was never really in hockey shape.  And I have always liked Forsberg, too.  So the last thing I want to see is Forsberg injured for 45 games, then half of his former self upon returing, and injured come Playoff time.  But the guy is still pretty good at only 75%, so I can see why teams are still interested in rolling the dice with him.  Murray mentioned friendship with Alfredsson and a contending team as reasons for coming to Ottawa.  And that is an interesting concept.  Both Swedes are about the same age, Alfredsson would put up big numbers playing 80 games with Forsberg.  Not only do they possess incredible skill, but the Heatley/Spezza line would have to be respected as well; so basically Forsberg gets second line duty, avoiding the opponent's top defensive pairing.  The other teams courting Forsberg are in the West.  I think the smart move is to go to the East and not get as banged-up all season.  The West sports some big, physical teams that are a receipe for re-injury.  So, unless he really wants to head back to Colorado to finish off his career, it might not be a bad move to pick Ottawa.  The only downside is that some cap room has to be made.  And as much as I am talking myself into thinking that this is a good idea, the sacrifice of any young player on the roster is not worth Forsberg's health gamble.  So unless Murray can do some salary cap magic, I probably won't be happy to see Forsberg on the Senators.

No comments: