Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Rex

From TSN - The Pittsburgh Penguins have placed forwared Mark Recchi on waivers.
Recchi, 39, has had a difficult year - playing in only 19 of the Pens' 26 games this year and has registered just two goals and six assists. Recchi has been a healthy scratch in seven of the last eight games.


Ironically, Monday was "Mark Recchi Bobblehead" night in Pittsburgh.

Sucks for Recchi. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well on another team. But Pittsburgh was a homecoming for him; not sure he wants to go anywhere else. Like JR, I think he's near the end of his career and wanted to play at home; but also was not granted sympathy playing time on a young team. Similarly, I figure he would play for a winner and another shot at a Cup.

Saw that Downie is back in the NHL. So, mark Jan 20th on the calendar. That's when McGratton beats Downie's ass. I have mixed feelings about the Phlyers. I know that some teams are goony. But not sure Philly is that team. The NHL needs to target headshots & cheapshots & cheap headshots. But, making the Flyers the posterboy team for bad hits doesn't seem fair. I don't think the coaches are teaching or encouraging marginal/dirty play. I think player history, game situation, intent and damage are bigger factors than the team a guy plays on.

No comments: