Friday, February 6, 2009

Baby Steps

Well, the Cory Clouston Era has begun in Ottawa. And that's meant a 0-1-1 record. Sounds pretty bleak? Well, I must say that for the first time all season the Sentaors have a forecheck and aggressive, pinching defensemen. The Sens already look improved.
The most noticable thing is the absence of the one-man forecheck. It simply wasn't putting any pressure on the other team. Now, the Sens are creating turnovers with two forecheckers, even if the results aren't yet there. Instead of standing (still) on the blueline, I've seen defensemen stepping into the opposing forwards in the neutral zone or center ice. It's an aggressive play that's been missing.
I was disappointed about Ryan Shannon playing for a scratched McAmmond. I really like the skill and versatility that Deano brings. But in Clouston's defense, Shannon looked impressive with his hard work and effort. And speaking of such, Chris Neal is expected to be tradebait with the deadline coming up. I'm sad about that. He's one of my favorite players. The Sens already lack toughness and Neal's departure spells doom.

No comments: