Monday, September 26, 2011

Pre Season

The NHL pre-season is in full swing. I've been waiting for it, what seems like forever. More importantly, the regular season is right around the corner. Which means the LAKings are off to Europe. They have two regular season games, one in Sweden and one in Germany. This kinda sucks since it is extra travel and puts off the home opener until October 18th. Maybe the extensive travel will help the team bond (more than tire them out). They have some new faces Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, Ethan Moreau & Dustin Penner. I'm adding Penner to this list, since he is supposedly in shape now and should not resemble anything of the horrible player he was at the end of last season.
 
Not a whole lot of drama this pre-season. Which is unusual for the Kings. There aren't really any open roster spots for once. I'm glad that we're not counting on any prospects to make the team. I am discounting the unsigned Drew Doughty as drama. After the July 1 free agency period, it was clear that he wasn't going to get signed. I realize that most Kings fans see Drew as the future of the organization, but I do not. He has shown flashes of brillance, but also a lack of fitness and commitment. I'm coming from the viewpoint that petulant skill players should be rented at best. Doughty is going down that path. I'd take a lesser skilled Chelios type guy who is committed to the game, his health and his team.
 
If the Kings fall apart defensively and Doughty forces their hand, so be it. But I doubt that will happen. Right now I'm with Lombardi. I'd rather not pay now for Doughty's "potential" if it hijacks the team's salary cap. I believe that a team plays defense, not pairs of individuals on each line. Doughty's skill set will be difficult to replace, but I think the Kings will be fine on the back end. In the meantime, would love to see a young player like Slava Voynov get an extended audition. Or give Thomas Hickey a go. All I know is that the Kings power play needs something different than last year.
 
 

No comments: