Monday, June 20, 2011

Bruins Win the Cup

I am pretty happy for the Bruins and the city of Boston on their Stanley Cup victory. My interest was in the goaltenders, I was largely rooting against Luongo and for Thomas. I've become a Tim Thomas fan over the last few years. Very early in his career at Florida, I felt that Luongo was an unappreciated goalie. But after moving to Vancouver, I've soured on him. Part of that is his very large contract, which seemed to balloon his ego as well. His more recent desire to captain the team was the last straw for me.
I love the fact that a guy like Tim Thomas has won the Stanley Cup. The ulitmate late-bloomer, and team guy, Thomas finally got his chance and has more than proven his worth. Also, the fact that this guy uses a more unconventional style. But, to me it is an extension of his attitude, "don't ever stop trying to keep the puck out." My wife is a big Thomas fan and that's no surprise to me. She also may not be the most technical goalie, but is aggressive and battles to keep the puck out.
I saw some coverage of the Stanley Cup Victory Parade in Boston this past weekend. It just happened to be the part where they interviewed Marc Savard. I really like him as a player and it was bittersweet to see him with the team. Between Savard, Bergeron and Horton, I automatically think head injury when I think Boston Bruins. It's a shame. Hopefully, something can be done to limit the amount of head injuries in the NHL. (And if Sydney Crosby's injury can't spawn some change, nothing will)

No comments: