Monday, September 26, 2011

Playoffs

I had my first rec hockey playoff game; which we won. I have been on some brutal teams in the last year. The worst being a perfect 0-14 season. So, finally getting into the post-season has been refreshing, despite the fact that all 5 of the teams make the playoffs.
 
I had some bad news recently, my favorite shin guards finally broke. I have been using a pair of CCM SG400 shin guards, since I started ice hockey. They were super beefy at the time they came out, approx 1994. My college roommates got them for me as a birthday gift, since I took one too many pucks to the side of the knee. But these things were way ahead of their time. One of the first shin guards to have an articulated knee, with extended protection on the side of the knees, wrap around protection, and asymetrical fit specific to each leg. Pretty much all mid to high-end shin guards have these features now.
I had retired the SG400's later in my roller hockey career, since lightweight and protective shin guards came out that weighed half as much. They came out of retirement once I started my new ice hockey career. For the last year I've blocked shots at will and felt pretty much indestructible. But, last week I noticed that the plastic knee cap has cracked on the right side.
The search is now on to find a worthy successor. I will probably by the burliest shin guards available, because that's my style. I don't mind the extra weight, as long as I feel more comfortable in front of point shots. I also like the thickness of the SG400's. I never had to tape my socks on, as the socks could barely stretch around my shin guards and would stay firmly in place.
 

No comments: