Thursday, November 3, 2011

Goaltending

What's with the state of NHL goaltending today? In my mind it's an alternate universe when, Brodeur and Ryan Miller are stinking-up the place. I would say it's a young man's game, but Khabibulin isn't a Spring chicken and has been very confident in the early season. Lehtonen and my boy Jon Quick have also been very solid.
Quick has the best/worst hockey name for a goaltender. Fortunately, he's lived up to it more often than not. But I still remember the facepalm moment when the Kings had a Quick and Fast on the prospect list.
I love the goaltender position. Rich Hammond, the LAKings blogger, did a great piece on Bill Ranford as the Kings goalie coach. I was a big fan of Ranford when he played for the Oil. The article details how the treatment and coaching of goaltenders has evolved over the years. It's interesting that Ron Hextall is also in the Kings organization and that goaltending is currently a strength. I guess it really helps to have a former goalie, coaching and mentoring your young goalies.

No comments: