Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Golden Era of Cinema

I've been thinking about my favorite movies lately. Part of the reason for that is having Netflix and the notion of rating each movie and figuring out which genre of movie I like to watch. The bottom line is that I prefer action, horror, martial arts, sci-fi monster movies. With Halloween coming up, several websites rated their favorite monster movies. I also recently saw The Thing, which took me back to the 1980's version.
I honestly feel that monster movies made during my childhood are the best ever. The Thing, Alien, Aliens, The Fly, Jaws, & American Werewolf in London come to mind. I think that the special effects were just good enough to be semi-realistic, while the limitation of the SFX limited the full viewing of any given monster. These movies build the tension by limiting the actual screen time of the monster. Also, the music in these pictures isn't matched today.
Don't get me wrong, there are many current monster flicks that I enjoy. In my mind, Jurassic Park is the predecessor for effects laden monster movies. Loved Jurassic Park, the sequels not so much. Peter Jackson's King Kong, Cloverfield, The Host all benefit from having great looking monsters that modern technology allows.
I also respect "the classics", which I consider 1950's. My fascination with monster flicks probably originates with Godzilla. I still love Godzilla to this day. Any Ray Harryhausen effects flicks are personal favorites. Harryhausen lasted well into my "Golden Era" with Clash of the Titans, another movie which I have strong emotional ties.

No comments: