Monday, October 17, 2011

5 for Fighting

I've been a bit embarrassed by my rec hockey team's name. At best it's cliche. At worst it refers to a metro-band. But this last weekend, we lived up to the name. And I now consider that the worst aspect of "5 for Fighting".
I would consider only two players on the team to be legitimate hotheads, and would expect only one of them to actually fight. There was a dust-up in the third period and not one of our proudest moments. We controlled the game and scoreboard, so starting a fight was unnecessary. I would be lying to say I wasn't a little embarrassed.
At the end of the day, we have a player suspended for the playoff final. It's another matter to be sticking-up for a teammate, but I don't believe that was the circumstance. More than anything, it was a shortsighted and selfish move.

No comments: