Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Free" Agency Madness Begins

Free Agency opened up today and teams were dealing and signing. I was hoping to hear that the Senators had landed Brian Campbell to replace Wade Redden, but it was not to be.  The Blackhawks threw $56-million at him for 8 years.  I wouldn't have wanted the Sens to give him that, so I'll let that one slide.
The Hawks threw big dollars at Huet, too. He's going to get $5.6/year, for 4-years. Too bad. I was just starting to like him as a starter for Washington. There was quite a bit of goalie movement in day #1.  Huet's signing lead to the Capitals going after Theodore; $4.5/year for 2-years. A bit of a gamble in my mind. Kolzig bolted to Tampa Bay. Cujo signed with the Leafs (sort of a pre-retirement homecoming). Lalime went to the Sabres. Finally, the Senators signed Alex Auld.
 
I'm not crazy about the Auld signing. There's not much else out there, so I can't name a better option. At least he is cheap at 1-million. I am ultimately hoping that Brian Elliott shows he can play in the NHL. With Auld they don't have to rush Elliott, but I would really love to see him force a buyout of Auld next year and complete with Gerber for the starting role.
 
So far, no one has signed Wade Redden or taken a flyer on Emery.

No comments: