Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vermette & Bowman

Well, I'm glad to announce that the Senators avoided a potentially nasty arbitration case with Vermette.  It was a 2-year deal paying out $2.5MM and $3.0MM. I think this is fair.  He might have been awarded a bit more, but in my mind it was not worth going through the hearing. There is also a mutual understanding that he is expected to produce more and will be given the opportunity to do so.  I think this is what the guy has been waiting for. It is put up or shut up time. He will still bring an NHL leading faceoff percentage, penalty killing and world class speed. Now he just has to score 35+ goals...
 
In others news, Scotty Bowan was hired as a hockey advisor to the Blackhawks next year.  As a Red Wing fan, I'm curious as to why he would leave Detroit.  I always considered him a secret weapon and assumed his scouting of teams and tremendous experience were invaluable to the Wings.  But, it seems that this move is a homecoming of sorts, as his son is the assistant GM of the 'Hawks. As a young, up-and-coming team, his experience may help speed their rise to prominence.

No comments: