Wednesday, December 9, 2009

UFC 107 & Hendo

Free agent fighter Dan Henderson finally signed with Strikeforce after
negotiations with the UFC could not be finalized. Dana White has said
that Hendo wanted too much money, to be the top paid fighter in the
UFC, and that the UFC doesn't need him, etc. I have yet to see a
negotiation that Dana White felt he lost. I've read that Hendo admits
he wanted more money, but that White and Co also strong-armed Dan, by
banning his Clinch Gear brand from the Octagon. They also gave his
title shot to Vitor Belfort to diminish his bargaining power. To me,
that's kinda lame. Does the UFC need Hendo? No. Is he near the end of
his career anyway? Yes. So why all the hardball tactics?

I will watch Hendo in Strikeforce and wish him well. I think the plan
is for him to continue to fight at two weight classes. I think he can
take Jake Shields for the middleweight title. Gegard Mousasi will be a
tough challenge at light-heavy, but it's an interesting fight. This
may actually be the best thing for Hendo's career anyway. I think
there are more fights for him with Strikeforce. In the UFC it was
Marquardt, then a title re-match against Silva. While he did as well
or better than anyone against Anderson, arguably winning a round, I
dont think anyone can beat Silva right now. Only time will tell.

But I have to think that Dana White's ego, while responsible for the
success of the UFC, may also one day be it's undoing. You don't have
to trash every business deal/partner/competitor when things don't go
your way. Not every business deal is a fight to be won or lost.
Obviously the guy hates to lose. But a savvy competitor may just take
advantage of White's ego one day.

I watched the UFC 107 Countdown show. I can't help myself. All of
these shows are the same. They highlight each fighter's camp and their
buddies tell the camera how much improved, stronger, smarter, faster
their guy is. There's the obligatory trash talking. But I always get
sucked into these shows, especially this time since it featured Penn
and Mir. These two guys can run their mouths (& back it up,
unfortunately). I still like these guys despite the obvious character
flaws.

Highlights? Anything with Diego Sanchez. That guy is a little off.
Crazy. Weird. But intense, if nothing else. I love his intensity, but
don't think he can hold a candle to Penn. Didn't buy the hype on this
part of the show. Mir was in good form. His smack talk was as sharp as
ever. Physically, he's put on 20 pounds of muscle. Apparently the
beatdown by Lesnar has left him quite motivated. He's obviously
looking past Congo, which could be a mistake. But I see Mir subbing
out Congo, quickly.

No comments: