Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Orange County Fair 2010

There was a bit of doubt in my mind whether or not the last trip to the OC Fair would be my last, and not from the food I ate. I believe that the fairgrounds are owned by the State and are in the process of being sold. Yet, the OC Fair is being held again this year. I love going to the Fair.
It's become a bit of a tradition to take the family there and a great excuse to take a day-off of work, to go during off-peak, weekday hours. We went on a Sunday, but the crowds weren't that bad. I blame the economy.
What a great experience the OC Fair is! There's something there for everyone. My wife loves the trinket vendors. The late night infomercial TV show presentations are performed live: Slap Chop, Shamwow, Ginzu knives, have all been there at one time or another. We always go to the reptile house and take a picture in from of the T-Rex statue out front. The kids love the rides. They are pretty young and don't meet the size requirement for "real" theme park rides yet. So, having scaled down roller coasters is amazing for them.
My real reason for going is the food. There's a place that specializes in deep fried food, called Chicken Charles. Last year I had deep fried Spam. (Also, chocolate covered bacon, but a different vendor.) Two years ago, was the deep fried Snickers bar. This year featured the Krispy Kreme chicken sandwich and deep fried Klondike Bar. The donut + chicken patty mashup was the worst thing I've eaten without a dare or bet being involved. You take a refrigerated Krispy Kreme jelly-filled donut and cut it in two; that's your "bun". Add a deep fried chicken patty, heavily processed and prefectly round. Viola! That what I ate. It was probably the mix of temperatures, textures and flavors that makes it so vile. The deep fried Klondike Bar, on the other hand, was great. About what you would expect. A warm breading, with melted chocolate and a frozen ice cream center.
I can only hope that the OC Fair is around again next year. What will those crazy carnies think up for me to try?

No comments: