Thursday, August 19, 2010

Samsung Captivate: 1 Month Later

I am pretty much fully integrated with the Samsung Captivate. I love the phone. The bottom line is that I can live with it's shortcomings. It is a good size, very thin and light. Maybe too light? I've juggled it several times. It could be shorter to fit in a pants pocket better, but losing screen size would not be worth it. It's pretty much useless in direct sunlight. I use the phone indoors most of the time and keep the screen brightness set very low to save battery. Direct sunlight washes out the screen. If you had to use the phone outside all day, I don't think the battery will last long with the screen set at full brightness. Battery life is pretty low. I've read that it is one of the best Android phones for battery life, that's seems scary to me. Part of the problem is that I don't have an extra charger yet; and sometimes I run the battery out before I get home to charge it at night. Once I get a car/work charger it shouldn't be a problem.
That leads me to another problem. Accessories. I've had difficulty getting a rubber case/cover for the phone. It's always out of stock at the AT&T stores and the mall kiosk-type stores don't have it. They have every flavor of iPhone 4 case you could dream of, but that's part of the territory with this phone. One day I will have a cover and charger for this phone, just not yet.
The main things for me are texting, social media apps, browser, navigation/maps, & call quality. I was out of town and relying on the Navigation last weekend and it came through for me. Call quality isn't as good as my Nokia, but it's good. Signal strength is strong at work and at home. The phone performance is snappy. I haven't had the lag that some blogs have reported. I am using the Opera browser and it works well.
I can't say this is the phone for everyone, but it's solid and it works well for me.
 

No comments: