Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shootout Kings

The Kings won their second game of the season via shootout last night. I am not a fan of the shootout. I enjoy watching the skill players vs goaltenders as much as the next guy, but anything which takes away from team play is a negative in my book. At least it gets the NHL on ESPN a little more, via Sportcenter highlights. I mostly dislike having playoff births based partly, or in rare cases entirely, on a skill contest with 3 shooters.
 
It's a good thing that the Kings are good in the shootout. Quick appears to have a good knack for stopping penalty shots. The guy has great feet and flexibility. Kopitar, Johnson, and (formerly) Frolov have the hands to be great shootout artists. In fact, it's the first time all season that I have missed Frolov. I've seen some shootout beauties by that guy. But that's where my appreciation of the guy begins and ends.
 
As long as the shootout doesn't ever make it's way into the Playoffs, I'll be a happy fan of the NHL.

No comments: