Monday, October 25, 2010

UFC 121

What we learned. Diego Sanchez is not done. I had put a fork in him after he lost badly to Penn and then moved up to 170 and lost to Hathaway. He mentioned going back to 155 after this fight. Bouncing around weight classes is a bad sign, unless you are Anderson Silva. But the "Yes!" Cartwheel Guy proved me wrong and out lasted Paulo Thiago. And it's Thiago that might see his walking papers...
 
Tito Ortiz is done. I figured he might have had a tough fight, but would ultimately get Hamill in a decision. Hamill was too much for Tito. Ortiz hasn't won in years. I've heard about a "rejuvinated" Tito before each of his last 3 fights. He didn't have any injury or surgery excuses this time. Looks like the writing is on the wall. And I don't want to see him fight Liddell a 3rd time either.
 
Jake Shields can be just as boring in the UFC as in Strikeforce. I've read that the weight cut didn't do him any favors and he did look pretty lethargic. But Kampmann should have done us all a huge favor by beating Shields and keeping the UFC welterweight division from becoming Wrestlemania. It wasn't to be. And Shields looks to get a title shot. I'm not impressed.
 
The UFC heavyweight division is a crowded place. Much like the merry-go-round title holders in light heavyweight. Jon Madsen and Brendan Schaub are a part of the future contenders club after their respective wins. I see Velasquez, Carwin, Dos Santos, and Lesnar battling for that belt the next few years. I like Roy Nelson for his mix of toughness, boxing, jiu jitsu and fatness. Also, Stefan Struve for his toughness, jiu jitsu and tallness.
 
It's funny how everyone jumped off the Lesnar bandwagon once he got his face smashed in the last two events and played turtle. Lesnar clearly doesn't handle getting punched in the face very well. Prior to that, Lesnar was a one-in-a-million heavyweight (nearly super heavyweight) that could move like a lightweight. His pure power and wrestling would overcome anybody. I think reality is a mix of both. Lesnar's size and natural athleticism allow him to beat most heavyweights out there, despite limited training. But two consecutive power punchers with wrestling skill were able to thwart Lesnar's wrestling and make him strike. Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy's persona. I don't like that a guy can come in with little-to-no experience and get the title right away. Lesnar's greatest gift to the UFC is not fringe fans, crossover marketability, or bigger PPV. Pushing the heavyweight ranks to overcome this guy and creating a stocked heavyweight division worth watching is what I thank Lesnar for!
 
 

No comments: