Wednesday, November 3, 2010

CCM Quality Issues?

I have been playing a CCM U+ OCTO 05 hockey stick. I originally bought it thinking that I needed more shaft flex and I wanted to try a one-piece composite stick. I'm a pretty short guy and when you cut down a stick it gets stiffer. My transition from roller hockey hasn't been very smooth in the puck shooting department. So, having too stiff a shaft is one more problem I don't need.
After only a few games, I had chips come out of the blade around the toe. I wasn't happy with that, since these composite sticks are way more expensive than I am used to. I used some surfboard resin from my surfing days to do a makeshift repair. More recently, a guy on my team had the same type of thing happen with his CCM stick. I am starting to think it's a common problem.
I have been using aluminum shaft or composite shaft & blade combination sticks most of my life. I have very little experience with one-piece composite sticks. So, maybe it's not just CCM. But if this is standard wear for one-piece sticks, I don't have the equipment budget to handle that lifestyle. I am starting to look at buying up the old tech shaft & blade sticks, since they are built like tanks and I'm used to the heavier weight.

No comments: