Monday, November 29, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 - Review

Early Impressions - I just got GT5. I'm not the biggest fan of the Gran Turismo series. I like racing games, but favor the arcade-style racing games over the technical driving simulator. But I couldn't imagine owning a PS3 and not having GT5.
 
The game is very familiar. I think the last version I played was GT3 and the menus and even sounds of GT5 are traditional Gran Turismo. The career mode is familiar. I started with a used Miata. It was by far the best option considering the 20,000 credits available to me. I quickly won some races and got to level 3 or 4 before I knew it. After exiting back out to my Home menu, I was awarded several cars and felt like I was well on my way.
 
I didn't even get into the online lobby or try out acade mode. The track designer is also untouched. There is definitely the feeling of barely scratching the surface of the vast career mode.
 
The graphics are solid. I am a little disappointed in the vehicle damage. Also, some of the track backgrounds seems unspectacular. Yet, there is no game that could live up to the delays GT5 has gone through. There are some waits for tracks to load, but I also haven't made room for the 8 gig of memory to properly load the game.
 
I have since read that special preference is given to the "premium" cars. Graphics are better and a detailed in-cockpit view is available. The vehicle damage is more advanced for these cars as well. So, with only a couple hours of driving a "standard" car my review is lacking, but even more so until I test drive a premium car.
 
Right now the best part of the game is knowing it's scale and that I have so much to uncover. I am eager to get back to racing, winning, and advancing my skill level and garage. I might try out a premium car in arcade mode. But for the most part I'll just plod along. A great game pulls you in for hours and hours. I don't think they messed with that part of the Gran Turismo formula.

No comments: