Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Easton Stealth S17 Hockey Helmet - Review

So I recently bought a new helmet. I had problems with my last helmet. It was a Nike/Bauer 5500. It seemed too narrow for my head. Granted, I have a pretty big dome. A 7.5" fitted hat is pretty snug on me. But I think my head shape is the "big" issue. The Nike/Bauer helmet was too tight along the temples and behind the head, below the ears. I figured the foam would compress and break-in a bit once I wore it a couple time. But it didn't. So, my solution was to loosen it up the adjustment quite a bit. I have been taking regular blows to the head and decided that the helmet didn't fit well enough. If it moves around and doesn't protect you, that kinda defeats the purpose.
 
I may be a bit of a head safety Nazi. I'm prone to concussions as it is and I wear a mouthguard as extra protection. I guess all the recent focus on head injuries in the NHL has made me cautious. I need to be able to work 40 hours a week and take care of my family. Also, my playing style is a bit Kamikaze. So, having a well fitting helmet takes away any doubt that might be in my mind and allows me to play the game my way.
 
So I went to my local hockey store and tried on a bunch of helmets. I ended up with the Easton Stealth S17. They didn't have it in black, so I bought Dark Navy. I'm still not sure about having a dark blue helmet, but that's another story. The bottom line is that the Easton was the most comfortable of all the helmets I tried on and I even bought it in a color I didn't exactly want. It also happened to be the easiest to adjust in the store. I know that any helmet can be adjusted with simple tools or unsnapping a few plastic trim pieces. But the Easton has a lever on the back of the helmet that releases the size adjustment. It's quick and easy. You can adjust the helmet while wearing it. I know that you don't usually ever adjust your helmet again once it's set, but being able to ensure the helmet fit very comfortably while still in the store had me sold.
 
There is also a secondary fit mechanism that resembles something straight out of a bicycle helmet. An extra support strap sits down behind your head and it is adjustable by a crank wheel. Again, you can do this easily while the helmet is on. I think it is this feature that really makes the helmet fit well. I am pretty confident that my helmet is staying put.
 
I've got two games in with the new helmet. It doesn't seem all that much different. About the same weight, maybe a bit lighter? I didn't take any head shots so I'm glad to not have any review of differences with impact forces. I'm more comfortable and hopefully more protected with a better fit.
 

No comments: