Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Penner to Kings

I was very busy yesterday and didn't even track the NHL trade deadline deals. I got back to my desk after lunch and saw that Lombardi had made a deal for Dustin Penner. My initial reaction is mixed.
The Good: The Kings did not give up a roster player. Lombardi said he wouldn't lose anyone from the roster and he kept his word. Penner is not a rental, and has another year of contract obligation. Penner is a big body with skill, those guys are pretty rare.
The Bad: The price was a little steep with prospect Colin Teubert, a first rounder in 2011, and second rounder in 2012. Actually, the 2012 pick is conditional, but since the Kings are making the playoffs this year, that makes it a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd round pick. (I'm optimistic in the midst of the closest playoff race in NHL history.?)
The Ugly: Penner has a history of coasting. To me, these's nothing worse than a big guy that doesn't use his size. Dany Heatley comes to mind, yet Penner is not a sniper of Heatley's caliber. Jason Spezza also comes to mind, yet Penner is not the puck wizard Spezza is. Penner used to play for the Ducks. He helped then win a Cup. That kills me.
Realistically this is a good trade. Kings fans (& probably coaching staff?) have been clamouring for a scoring winger. This will satisfy those people for the time being, whether the move is a good one or not. Penner is coming out of Edmonton, whose media can and will slam any player with expectations as high as Penner had. I would reason that Penner could flourish playing as a piece to the puzzle, instead of trying to carry a team/city/province on his back. Penner also showed some class, making a graceful exit out of Edmonton; that's a good sign to me.
I have pretty high expectations on this guy. Obviously, since we are giving up three high picks. The Kings are far from in the Playoffs with a dogfight going on, one guy on the roster could make all the difference.

No comments: