Friday, February 25, 2011

Clear Wireless

I had a bit of trouble with my DSL lately. I've since replaced it with Clear. They are a wireless provider that I believe have a shared network with Sprint. The technology is called 4G WiMax. I was a bit concerned about being obsolete, with wireless networks constantly getting faster/better. An even bigger concern is whether I would get a consistent and solid signal at my home. The map showed that I was within the coverage area, but you never really know...
So far it's been great! Once I plugged in the Wifi router it was working and showing full signal strength. I didn't have to point it a certain way or place it in a weird spot in the house. No problems or hang-ups at all. The speed tests out at 3 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload on average. I guess this isn't a blazing fast speed, but it's better than what I was getting before and satisfies my usage. I have been really happy with the customer service. They have communicated well. Probably a bigger point for me, is that I didn't have to contact anyone about set-up or questions or problems. The thing just worked out of the box.
I know it's a bit too early to be calling any victories. When I have consistent service a year from now, that will put this deal in the WIN column. But I have nothing but positive signs so far. (Knock on wood.) I'm just happy with everything so far and felt the need to brag about Clear.

No comments: