Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All Star Break Musings

My interest in the NHL All Star Weekend has steadily waned over the years. Maybe that's the way it is supposed to be. I always saw it as a vehicle to draw in new fans or casual hockey fans. I'm neither of those. Even with the new format of picking teams ala fantasy hockey style, I wasn't totally drawn-in. I have to give Shannahan credit though, as it seemed like a great idea. I think they could do it again for another year or two.
The skills contest is still interesting to me. I think giant players and high tech sticks have made Al Macinnis' and Al Iafrate's 100 mph slapshots a much more common sight. I do enjoy the breakaway challenge with no-rules and lacrosse-style attempts. It highlights the skill and creativity these guys have. My idea is to have a game of "horse" like in basketball. It would be "goal" or "puck" and players would take turns matching feats of scoring/shooting on an empty net.
But it's time to get back to business. The Kings won their last 3 games and start the 10 game road trip tonight in Minnesota. A lot rides on this trip. I believe that there is still only 6 points separating 4th from 12th place in the West. This road trip coupled with the trade deadline, makes for a very interesting stretch run!

No comments: