Friday, February 11, 2011

Strikeforce vs UFC Heavyweights

I am very interested in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Tournament going down this year. I was hoping that it would be a one-day tounament, but that wasn't in the plans. Probably a good business decision, since Strikeforce needs to hold several events. I was surprised that Fedor and Overeem were in the same bracket, but it does make for high interest matches right out of the gate. On the other hand, Barnett will most likely make to the Finals from the other side of the draw. And that means it won't be held in California, so I am not watching it live. Damn.
I like Overeem to win it all. I think he's the top heavyweight right now. He may have shortcomings on his back or on the ground, but no one has been able to take him there and find out. The dude is built like a superhero. I am partial to fighters that employ muay thai knees and this guy has devistating knee strikes.
I hope Fedor has a good showing. All bets were off once he lost to Werdum. His mystique evaporated and the calls for Dana White to go get Fedor were gone. Talk about rats jumping off the ship (or bandwagon). Say what you will, but not losing for so long in MMA is a big deal whether you are fighting tomato cans or not.
Talk has shifted to the lack of UFC heavyweights. I disagree. The UFC is as deep as it has ever been in that weight class. I would argue that the UFC would have great matchups in a Strikeforce vs UFC Heavyweight Brawl. Strikeforce has: Overeem, Fedor, Werdum, Silva, Barnett, Kharitonov, Rogers & Arlovski. UFC has: Velasquez, Dos Santos, Lesnar, Nelson, Mir, Carwin, Struve, Nogueira/CroCop/Congo/Schaub.
 
Overeem vs Velasquez. Have the respective champs go at it. No brainer.
Fedor vs Nelson. Yes. I am serious. Roy is tough as nails. Weight advantage Big Country. It would be interesting, trust me.
Barnett vs Mir. The trash talk alone between these two would be monumental.
Werdum vs Dos Santos. It's been done and Dos Santos won.
Silva vs Struve. Battle of the trees.
Rogers vs Carwin. Big boys, big punches. Someone goes to sleep.
Kharitonov vs Lesnar. No reason, these guys are what's left.
Arlovski vs Nogueira/CroCop/Congo/Schaub. I don't think Arlovski has much game left. Let him fight an over the hill legend or whatever.
 
Whaddaya think?

No comments: