Friday, February 11, 2011

Mr. Fisherwood Goes to Nashville

In my mind, the final nail in the Ottawa Senators coffin is moving Mike Fisher to the Predators. The team is currently battling for the #1 draft pick, but I mean the "end" in a different way. I started following the Senators shortly before their run the the Cup Finals. Coming out of the lockout, I didn't have much to root for. My LA Kings were deep in the Dave Taylor Era, a time I'd like to forget. I happened to pick Heatley and Spezza in my fantasy pool. I just picked-up a flat screen TV and HD service. I started watching Ottawa. They were a high scoring team and fun to watch. I liked the roster version with Alfredsson, Vermette, Schafer, Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, Neil, Meszaros, Volchenkov, Phillips. Now, most of that roster is gone. As players were traded away, my interest in the Senators went along with it. And with the trade of Fisher, my interest in that team is nil.
Don't get me wrong, I still think Alfredsson is/was one of the best players in the league. Watching full seasons of that guy gave me a new appreciation for what he could do. And that was pretty much everything. He could play every situation and had a scorer's touch with defensive responsibility. Very rare. But with his career winding down, I'm done with the Senators.
Why Mike Fisher? He's one of my favorite players. I appreciate everything Fisher brings to the game. He plays for his team, not himself. The guy plays a hard, speedy game. I'd like to think I've patterned my play after him. Unfortunately, I'm just as snakebitten in the goal scoring department.
It's not a coincidence that Fisher is playing in Nashville and is now closer to his wife. But it's cool that this deal was done. I give Brian Murray props for that. Although Nashville loses a first rounder and gets Fisher's relatively high salary. The Predators also get Carrie Underwood to attend games, which has some marketing value.
Too bad the Kings don't play Nashville at home anymore this season (unless it is in the Playoffs).

No comments: