Thursday, May 24, 2007

Clarification

...in response to Poo's goaltending analysis. I don't think you can argue that Hasek was "swimming in the crease", 'cause that's what he does. And when you score on him, it looks really bad, like the game winner where he couldn't locate the puck on his back. But that doesn't happen too often. I saw all of his games, while he was with the Sens last season. I've gone on record as saying that the Dominator of old was back last year, before he got hurt at the Olympics. I thought the Wings took a huge gamble on Hasek's health, but his ability wasn't in question. The reason the Wings went deep in the playoffs is Hasek. I am not a fan of the traditional butteryfly style, and tend to hate goalies who use it. But I can't deny that Giggy played well and Hasek looked bad in game 6.

As a matter of style and technique, I prefer the aggressive, positional & athletic goalie. Legacy, Fuhr and Richter are examples of small goaltenders that master angles, skating and positional play; they have to be aggressive to make-up for size. Brodeur is very athletic, making weird jumping saves at times. Kipper is amazing. But the, stay deep in the crease, drop to the knees, just doesn't do it for me.

No comments: