Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cup Finals Revisited

It was all Red Wings, in a 6-1 blowout. Since I was out of town, I'm only going by Sportscenter highlights, I will watch the Tivo'd game tonight. But it was a golden opportunity for the Blackhawks. Lidstrom and Datsyuk were both out due to injury. The Blackhawks were playing at home. Apparently, Khabi was injured and didn't play. Huet had a chance to prove his worth. A golden opportunity.
 
Huet laid an egg. The 'Hawks even went to their third string goalie in an attempt to gain momentum. I think it was a desperate move. It went horribly wrong for a young team that needed a big win. Chicago faces elimination tomorrow. While the Hurricanes face the end of their season tonight.
 
It's looking more and more like a re-load of last year's Cup final with the Red Wings and Penguins all over again. I'm sure Bettman would love to see his poster boy, Crosby, in the Final for the second year in a row. I can already see the sub-plots being hyped: Hossa and Conklin both former Peguins being signed by Detroit over last summer, facing their former team.
 
As for me? Not so crazy about this. I don't really feel a huge rivalry between these teams. I think most of the drama was felt last year. I also think the Red Wings have improved their team more than the Penguins. So, there's little intrigue for me. At least the Conference Final series are not officially over just yet. So there's hope. But not much hope.

No comments: