Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trade Deadline

I think the deadline is tomorrow at noon. But, the Senators made a move today, getting Andy Sutton off the Island for a second round pick. I'm pretty sure he's a UFA at the end of this season. And what little I know about Sutton is that he's a big dude, that's been around awhile. But 6'6", 245 is good enough for me. Matt Carkner is hardly the most skilled defenseman around, (albeit pretty skilled with his fists) but the Sens quickly realized what they were missing with his size on the backend. So, getting another big body is a solid move before the playoffs.
 
I read that Chelios was signed by the Thrashers! Apparently, he was signed, then waived. So, if he isn't snapped-up by Wednesday, he will remain in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves, but will be available to the Thrashers. I think this is an insurance move, in case of injury or extreme trading outflow of defensemen??
 
The biggest trade already happened, with Kovalchuk going to New Jersey before the Olympic break. I don't expect a blockbuster trade.
 
 
 

No comments: