Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WEC blues

I am still a little bitter about losing Versus on my Directv. Versus has NHL coverage and WEC fights. So, I talked myself into thinking that I wasn't that much of a WEC fan, but it was a lie. I love the lighter weight classes. They tend to have way better conditioning and faster pace fights. Maybe I just relate better to guys my size, as opposed to middleweight and above.
So, the last WEC show had the return of Miguel Torres and the new champ Brian Bowles on the card. Torres fought Urijah Faber protege, Joseph Benavidez. Faber's style is apparent in Benavidez's game. I've seen a bunch of Torres' fights and figured he would use his length, jab, clench work or submission game on the ground; not take one of the nastiest elbows to the forehead I've ever seen. Post-fight pics are pretty gruesome. I am pissed that I missed this fight.
Similarly, new bantamweight champ Bowles took on Dominic Cruz. Most people were calling for an easy win for power punching Bowles, since he took out Torres after all. But I was pulling for Cruz. I've seen this guy pick people apart. There's something about very skilled boxers that make the striking look very easy. I think Cruz has that. He proved me right, but I only read about it.
Now, I'm waiting for my MMA co-hort to invite me over and watch the TIVO'd fight. Any day now.....

No comments: