Friday, September 3, 2010

Bring Back the Gamer Addiction - Batman: Arkham Asylum

I've made-up with the PS3 lately. We have a rocky, on-again, off again relationship.
The latest use of my non-work, non-family, non-sleeping time has been Batman: Arkham Asylum. What a great game! I've had it on my radar for a year now. Finally got it, at a bargain basement used price. I liked the gameplay. The use of Batman gadgets in the game was obviously required, but also well done. I think there could have been more intricate gameplay, but I liked it as-is. I'm a bit of old-school gamer. By that I mean all thumbs with modern controllers. Going from a single stick and single button, ala Atari 2600, has been a long, slow process. Yet, it is still difficult for me to work 10-buttons, 2 sticks, and a d-pad very effectively. Even I could play Batman without much button confusion.
Graphics were solid. There is such high expectation on graphics these days. I am easily impressed, but to me the integration of gameplay with the graphics is what matters. Being able to shoot a Bat-cable, in a full run, from a great distance and seeing Batman zoom up to the top of a tower is pretty cool. Also, the animation of gliding around with the Bat cape is very satisfying. The boss battles were a bit boring. But again, if any more intricate, I probably wouldn't have the skill level to do it. The game seemed long and yet short. Some of the stealth attacks seemed to get repetitive. But just as I was starting to complain, the game was over. After finishing the main story, I went back to find all the hidden Riddler trophies. That sort of thing is irresistable to me. I love that aspect of this style game. At least the length of the game or overall game time, had me thirsty for more. Which a game rarely does.
Batman II is in the works. I'm stoked. If they can build slightly on this game it should be a hat trick (I was going to use home run, but don't like baseball). I will definitely by the sequel.

No comments: