Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Red Dead Redemption

I'm still on a bit of a gaming kick. I got Red Dead Redemption about a month ago. It seemed like a risky acquisition, as I also bought the last Grand Theft Auto game and didn't like it much. GTA was highly touted with great reviews but it didn't seem all that great to me. I got bored with it very quickly. This game is basically the same thing set as a western. Yet, I love it. Why?
 
I have to think that the hunting of animals makes the game. That's pretty much all I did at first was try to get the hunting badges. Also the treasure hunting feature is cool. The main storyline and quests start to get repetitive. I say that, yet the last couple of quests involved stealth, a train, and explosive charges. So, right about when I was getting bored, they changed-up the gameplay.
 
I'm a fan of western movies and the music in the game is very Spaghetti Western inspired. That's kinda cool.
 
There's also mini games of poker, blackjack, horseshoes, liars dice, arm wrestling and 5 finger fillet. Those are intersting for a while.
 
Overall, I have had fun with this game and recommend it. Right when I started to get bored, it got better and drew me back in. I think I may just see this thing to the end, unlike GTA. There's an unlocked area of the map I have yet to open up. I think I'll play it up to that point at least. But I'm also eyeing that Dead Rising 2 game. Zombies + makeshift weapons + multiplatform release = my next game purchase?

No comments: