Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Training Camp

NHL Training Camp opened last Friday. My rec league training camp was also open. Since we missed playoffs, I had a few weeks off from playing. Which was nice. I got a chance to rest my feet and ankles. But it is time to start getting back into playing shape.
I had been using some poorly fitting, used skates. The intent of these skates was to use them a couple times per year at best, when my family got together to play hockey around the holidays. So, they didn't cost much and it didn't matter that they killed my feet for one or two days out of the year. But weekly use was not good. I have some pretty weird shaped ankles. Sharp ankle bones which stick out to the sides, don't fit well in skates. I had developed a bone spur of sorts on my left ankle and it was only getting more and more swollen as the weeks went on.
At the end of the regular season I invested in some new skates. It turns out that one of the benefits of having baby feet, is that I border on the sizing between senior and junior skates. So, I got a much better model of skate than I would have been able to afford at senior pricing. And one of the only skate models that didn't hurt my feet were on the higher end of the price scale (go figure).
I'm pretty excited about getting back to playing hockey. The fact that the NHL is starting back up at the same time, only adds to my anticipation. It will be cool to spot a few of the Kings players at the rink, since I play at the Kings practice facility. I'm anxious to try out my new skates. I'm ready to start fresh with a new season.
On the downside, we didn't make many roster adjustments over the off season that I know of. I was hoping that a few on my friends were joining the team, but that didn't work-out. It's pretty common to get a lot of people wanting to play, but getting signed-up is a whole other story. I don't think we have a goaltender finalized. I'm a bit concerned. We were a pretty bad team last season. Another season of playing together will help, but the bottom line is that we need to add a little more skill to be competitive. i don't know what to expect until I walk into the dressing room and see who we have.

No comments: