Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Stanley Cup Playoff Picks - Round 1

It's my favorite time of year. I love the first round of the playoffs. I usually don't get any sleep during this time. There are just too many games going on. I start to do any household chores after the last West Coast game ends, which makes for long nights. As tradition, I will be putting my picks down. They are far too biased. Some teams I just don't like. Ohers I can't shake as chokers. Some have players I just don't want to see win the Cup. Take that for what you will.
 
Let's start in the East. I haven't watched much of the East this year. Which is a departure from the last 3-4 years. So, that's a minus on my part.
Capitals vs. Rangers. The Capitals get to test their new playoff/defensive style. Ovie has underachieved in my mind. Green is coming back from injury. The Rangers lost Callahan to injury, but got back Drury. I'm a huge Drury fan, and that guy has a Claude Lemieux-like way of elevating his game in the second season. I have to give the goaltending edge to Lundqvist. All that being said, I think the Caps will be too much for the Blue Shirts. Caps in 6.
Flyers vs. Sabres. Philly is limping into the playoffs. Largely because of missing Pronger, IMO. The word is that Mr. Cheap Elbows is going to miss at least Game 1. Doesn't sound good. I also wouldn't count out a team with Miller, though he's had injury issues and is probably not 100%. I'm taking Sabres in 6.
Bruins vs. Canadiens. I think the bears from Boston are the Eastern team to beat. I always consider goaltending in the Cup playoffs. And it doesn't get any better than Thomas. Nothing against Price, who's been great this year; but Timmy T has been other-worldly. Bruins in 6.
Pens vs. Lightning. Crosby and Malkin out. I like the Bolts in this year's upset special of the first round. Mostly because I dislike Fleury. While I do like Stamkos/St. Louis/Lecavalier. Bolts in 7.
 
Canucks vs. 'Hawks. Chicago barely made the playoffs, relying on a Dallas loss to get the 8th seed. Vancouver is pretty much everyone's pick for the Cup Final and/or Champs. Loungo. Twins. Vancouver in 5.
Kings vs Sharks. Quick will be outstanding and despite the loss of Kopitar and a 50% Williams (if he comes back) the Kings will somehow upset the fish of San Jose. I just can't post anything which says the Kings won't win. All the sports writers have the Sharks by a landslide. I will call upon San Jose's long history of choking. Kings in 7.
Red Wings vs. Coyotes. Zetterberg is out for at least game 1. Bryzgalov will be solid. The veteran Wings always find a way to win. But I don't think Howard can deliver the goods. Coyotes in 7.
Ducks vs. Predators. Offense or Defense? Anaheim has this year's 50-goal man in Perry. Selanne is the ageless wonder. I love Selanne. Yet in the playoffs, I'l take defense. Nashville has a solid advantage is goaltending. Rinne has been great this year. The Ducks have been a mess in goal this year. Nashville has a good style for playoff hockey. Nashville in 7.

No comments: