Wednesday, October 14, 2009

1/16 mark

It's barely 5 games into the NHL season, but I'm ready to give status
reports. Kings are off to a good start going 4-1-0.
Smyth-Kopitar-Williams are playing well. Making the GM look like a
genius for picking-up those guys up in the off-season. Quick has
looked OK, but given-up a ton of powerplay goals. I'm not sold on him
being a NHL caliber goalie just yet. Kings have simply outscored thier
opponent, but allowed too many goals in my opinion. Not sure they can
keep up that pace. But here's to a strong start.

Senators are 3-2-0. I think they are playing well. They are still
working out the lines, but seem to have a more balanced attack than
before. A different line seems to show-up on any given night. But all
four lines seem able to get some kind of offensive pressure. That
said, the shots are not going in. Fortunately, the defense has looked
pretty good. I see close games being the norm this season; with a lot
less margin for error. This is probably not a team that's top 5 in
goals scored, as in years past. So turnovers have resulted directly to
the two losses. Goaltending is unpredictable. Leclaire can make the
impossible save, then get beat cleanly on a rush up ice. I still have
my doubts about him.

Red Wings are 3-4-0. I honestly haven't seen too many of their games.
They just lost Franzen for 3-4 months with an ACL injury. For a team
that lost quite a few forwards over the summer, this is a big blow to
the offense. It will be quite a test to see how the Wings respond.

No comments: