Thursday, February 4, 2010

UFC 109 - Who'd ya like?

I used to run down my picks for each MMA event. But I've proved to be way too partial to my favorite fighters. I'm a fan, not a betting house. There are fighters that I want to see win and pull for. Or there are guys that I want to see get destroyed, since I think they are asshats. Here are my biased picks...
 
Main Card:
Light Heavyweight bout:  Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman
I'm a big Couture fan. I want to see him win. However, this fight is underwhelming to me, as I don't really care about Coleman. Both guys are Hall of Famers, but I don't see this as a main event fight. Yeah, it almost happened 92 UFC's events ago, that doesn't mean it should happen now. I think both guys are losing relevance in the UFC, does a winner of this match change that?
 
Middleweight bout:  Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
To me Chael Sonnen is a well rounded gamer. At first I didn't like this match-up, as I didn't think Chael deserved to fight Marquardt. But considering Sonnen took out Dan Miller and Okami, it a fair reward. That said, I think Marquardt is better in all areas of the game. I would not be surprised to see Marquardt overwhelm him.
 
Welterweight bout:  Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
I think it would be easy to pick Swick, but Paulo Thiago is intriguing. I think he has some submission skills that remain to be displayed in the Octagon. Swick is probably the smarter pick, but I'd like to see some new faces rising in the UFC.
 
Middleweight bout:  Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
Some of the sickest Jitz in the UFC. I love to watch Maia. I'm gonna say Maia via sub, 'cause that's what he's all about. It's great to be well rounded, but some of my favorite fighters are one-dimensional, and this guy could sub-out a 25' anaconda. Excited to see a master at work.
 
Welterweight bout:  Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg
I don't care about this one either. I like Serra. I think Trigg is done after this loss.
 
Preliminary Card (Spike TV)
Lightweight bout:  Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz
Danzig's had a rough go in the Octagon. 3-straight losses. I think the luxury of winning TUF has kept him from getting cut by the UFC. But it might be win or leave for Danzig this time. I'll say Mac by RNC.
 
Lightweight bout:  Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres
I've heard a little about Torres. Apparently another Brazilian up-and-comer. I'll take him, on a leap of hype.
 
Preliminary Card
Lightweight bout:  Phillipe Nover vs. Rob Emerson
Nover has yet to live up to the immense hype. He has troubles with fainting. I'm still pulling for the guy. But he better impress...
 
Light Heavyweight bout:  Brian Stann vs. Phil Davis
Stann was one of my WEC favorites, before the heavier weights got merged into the UFC. Tough as hell. I love the tough brawler-types. A feel good story as a Silver Star decorated Marine. The guy is actually getting "real" training now. I think he will only get better. I'm pulling for a big win.
 
Heavyweight bout:  Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Don't really know these guys. Both are big and tip the scales at legit heavyweight. I hope that doesn't equal a boring fight. Hague is a highlight reel knockout for Todd Duffee, but he also upset Pat Barry. I'll go Hague.
 
Heavyweight bout:  Rolles Gracie vs. Joey Beltran
Hidden on the undercard is a heavyweight Gracie. Unproven, he deserves to be there. Yet, I'm sure any fan of the sport is interested by the mystic of a Gracie fighting, much less a heavyweight. I am hoping for mad Jiu Jitsu to be on display in a large package. (Not named Frank Mir)
 

No comments: