Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Video Game Review: Dead Space

So I'm a bit hooked on gaming again. Much like any addiction, it's best if I never get started otherwise I can't stop. First it was Uncharted 2 and a little GTA 4. After finishing Uncharted 2, I was looking for a "new" game to play. If you didn't catch my earlier posts, "new" is a pretty relative term for me and the PS3. I hardly ever get games at launch timing, as I am more of a used game section guy.
 
I stumbled upon Dead Space last week. It's a horror genre game. I love these types of games. Mutant monsters jumping out at you. Generally having underpowered weapons and scavaging ammo. But this one is set in space. It's a lot like the plot of Alien/Aliens. You go to help a space station that is in trouble, get shipwrecked, try to figure out why there are weird monsters running around, and finding a way to escape. One of the twists is that decapatating and dismembering the monsters is the best way to slow them down and kill them. I love me a good headshot. Shooting a monster's arms off from across the room is very satisfying and hasn't gotten old yet. (Does that ever get old?)
 
So far it's really fun. I think I have been spoiled by the graphics and playability of Uncharted 2, however this game is much older and I expect different things from a horror game. I've only gone through 3 levels, but the story and gameplay have been engaging so far. Getting this game off the used game rack is a no-brainer.

No comments: