Thursday, April 16, 2009

NHL Playoffs

WARNNG: This is probably going to be a very long-winded playoff posting, but I'll try to keep it to the point. The Playoffs are here, and no, I don't mean the round ball playoffs. I have been camping with the family, so any analysis or over-analysis has been postponed until today.
 
The main point is that I like the Sharks and Bruins in the final.  Sharks winning the Cup this year. There, done.
 
Two teams you can't ever count out are the Red Wings and Devils. Both have gone into a late season coma, probably from the boredom of the regular season. But you can never look past a team with Brodeur. Yeah, but he's coming off an long injury layoff. I hear you. But he's also rested for the first time going into the playoffs. That seems very dangerous to me. Counter to that the Wings goaltending is their Achilles' Heel. Osgood was Os-some last year. Not so much this year. Despite that, they are still the champs until someone proves otherwise.
 
Sharks/Wings and Bruins/Devils would be great Conference match-ups.
 
First Round in the West:
Sharks vs. Ducks. The Sharks have had tons of 'promising' teams bonk in the first round. But, I think the Sharks have an edge in every category over the Ducks, that said, the Ducks at their best are far from an 8 seed. And that's the problem, the Ducks are inconsistent this season. While they have been on a roll getting into the playoffs, I don't see the Ducks pulling it off.
Red Wings vs. Blue Jackets. Most of the media have picked either the Ducks or Blue Jackets as upset teams. I can see why they like the Jackets. A well coached, defensive team, with better goaltending. But, I think the Red Wings have too much depth and will ultimately overpower their opponent.
Canucks vs. Blues. Who cares? I don't like either team that much. Blues are a surprise to even be in the playoffs. I'll go spoiler and say Blues.
Blackhawks vs. Flames. Flames have underachieved and the Blackhawks are the young, promising team of the West. I think this may be a very entertaining series. I'll go with the Flames based on experience and better defense.
 
First Round in the East:
Bruins vs. Canadiens. In a typical 1 vs 8 battle the Bruins are better in every area. The Bruins are the Sharks of the East: physical, deep, skilled and nasty at times. Thomas has been unreal between the pipes. Unlike the Ducks, the Habs limped into the playoffs taking 81 games to secure the 8th spot. Montreal looked really good at mid-season, but the season long 100th anniversary celebration and hype surrounding the team appear to have taken their toll. I don't think Montreal gets back on track. Bruins.
Capitals vs. Rangers. I love this series. It seems like the Hawks vs. Flames, but in the East. Capitals are young and firey. It would be good for the NHL to have Ovenchicken go deep in the playoffs with exciting end-to-end hockey. But sadly, the playoffs are about goaltending, defense and imposing your will. It may not be the Rangers, but the Caps are a bit one-dimensional until proven otherwise. Rangers?
Devils vs. Hurricanes. Devils were flying high. Brodeur came back and broke Roy's all-time wins mark, then the wheels came off. The team has been in a bit of a skid. Conversely, the Hurricanes are playing very well. Taking a nice rally of wins into the playoffs. This one reeks of an upset. But I can't get past the past, which says the Devils are always a playoff ready team. Devils.
Penguins vs. Flyers. All signs point to the Penguins. A bit lost at mid-season, the Pens are back on track. I am too biased to call this one. I don't like the Penguins. I really want Philly to win. So, Penguins.
 
 
 

No comments: