Thursday, April 30, 2009

Round 2

The matchups in Round 2 always appear good, mostly because the respective teams just won 4 games. But this year features marquee matches in the West and East, too bad no one will see it, since ESPN doesn't like the NHL anymore. :(
 
Capitals and Penguins is interesting. Yes, it features the top, young offensive players in the game today. Plenty of firepower and hype. While I'm not a fan of the Penguins and am totally pulling for the Capitals, I think it will be all Penguins. I think they will be able to play a checking game similar to the Rangers, but with a counter-punching ability that New York lacked. And if it goes to firewagon hockey, the Pens can hold there own with that style too. In my heart, I hope Varlamov out plays Fleury and the Caps out-gun the Pens. But I don't think that will honestly happen. Possible blow-out by the Pens.
 
Red Wings and Ducks. The Ducks have a hot top line, powerplay and goalie. Their defense is big and burly. The Red Wings may not be able to completely contain the Ducks top line, but the Red Wings have scoring depth and skill that the Ducks do not. I expect the Wings' to create powerplay chances, since the Ducks tend toward undisciplined play. I think special teams will decide this series. Ultimately, the Red Wings are not a scary roster on paper, but all four lines can play a relentless, puck possession style. It works. Red Wings.
 
Canucks and Hawks. These guys had a nice melee at the end of their last meeting in the regular season. Without much luck, that love will continue into a line long and nasty series. I'm pulling for the 'Hawks, but I think the Canucks have more firepower, goaltending and better defense. There's something to be said for youth and energy; and that's what the Blackhawks have on their side. Either way I think the Red Wings/Ducks winner will dispatch of either team. Canucks.
 
Bruins and Canes. I think Cindarella's night on the town will be over soon. Carolina is playing some really good hockey, playing a fantastic series against New Jersey. However, the Bruins are too much for almost any team to handle. Bruins can play it anyway Carolina tries to take the game, fast and loose or tight checking. Ward stealing 4 games is not likely. Bruins.
 
 
 
 

No comments: