Wednesday, August 5, 2009

NHL Offseason

Typically quiet this time of year.
 
It was announced that Jeremy Roenick is calling for a press conference tomorrow. Sounds like JR is retiring. This is a good thing. I don't like seeing one of my heros play at 75% (and that's probably being generous). Time is a bitch, especially for JR. The guy played the game hard and that's why he is one of my favorite players. He's played with numerous concussions in the playoffs, but the topper was coming back from a broken jaw. Not just playing hurt, but being a stud while playing hurt when it mattered most. Knee surgeries, broken bones, separated shoulder, and 11+ concussions; it's safe to say he's permanently retired.
A very colorful personality. JR is rivaled by only Brett Hull in the speaking your mind department. I think this is why he will be in the broadcast booth sooner than later. He's already done a few post-seasons and is a natural in front of the camera. Between that and golfing, Roenick will stay busy.
 
Also, it's "Hello Numminen." Or rather good-bye. As Teppo is also anging up the skates. He has also made it around 20 years, like JR. And injuries have plagued the later years of Teppo's career too. I solid guy off and on the ice.
 
Shanny is not calling it a career yet. I just heard he's signed on for another year with the Devils. It's a farwell tour of sorts, as I believe that he started his career with New Jersey; way back in the Christmas-themed green and red jersey days. I don't see him playing beyond this year.
 
Word on the street is that Heatley could be going to San Jose via some three team deal. I'll believe it when I see it. Speaking of the Senators, a former player, Patrick Eaves, was signed by Detroit. Good for him. I hope he makes the most of it and has a breakout year.
 

No comments: