Monday, August 17, 2009

The Tiger is Dead

So, Tiger "lost" the PGA is weekend. He's no longer undefeated when leading after 54-holes. Is Tiger no longer as dominant as he once was? Possibly. Is his losing good for the PGA? Maybe. Do I like that he lost? Not really.
I'm not saying that I'm the biggest Tiger fan in the world. Nor do I hate the guy's success either. I can't believe that he has lived-up to the immense hype built-up when he first came on to the Tour. The guy is a marketing brand all by himself. Has become the second Michael Jordan as far as Nike is concerned. Each year there's a new epic highlight that he creates, which is bigger than the last.
But I'm also a bit sad that there's a blemish on his dominance. Maybe unlike most people, I like that there's an otherworldly talent. I enjoy seeing the Gretzkys, Jordans or Anderson Silvas of the world. People like movies with intense human drama. But you can see that stuff on display, for real, every so often, when a once-in-a-generation athlete hits the biggest stage in his/her respective sport.
But you can't stay perfect in golf, not even Tiger.

No comments: