Friday, August 28, 2009

UFC 102 Picks


Who do you like for this weekend? Here's my take....

Heavyweight bout:  Randy Couture vs.  Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
I'm probably blinded by the fan in me, but I think this one is Randy's. Both guys are coming off of losses. But Minotauro looked especially bad. I think Couture is actually still improving his game. His striking against Lesnar was going pretty well, right up until he was grazed by a Thanksgiving turkey-sized fist. I see Couture having a distinct striking and stamina advantage. Big Nog will probably get pounded, fall to the ground and then look to sub Captain American. Other than that happening, I'm calling it a TKO or at least a decision for Xtreme Couture.
 

Light Heavyweight bout:  Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva

I don't like to call this one, namely because Jardine is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde. But it's hard to be consistent when you constantly face top tier guys in a stacked 205-division. I think Thiago's record, while impressive, doesn't have the names on it that Jardine's does. I'm going with the Jardine that took Rampage deep, not the Jardine that got dominated by Wandy.

 

Middleweight bout:  Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

I think Leben's best days are behind him. He's still facing a slugger, but I'm hoping Jake can use a variety of tools to frustrate, tired and beat Leben. That's all I got on this match-up.

 

Middleweight bout:  Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia

Maia has brought sexy back. I'm as amazed by his jits as when I first saw Gracie and couldn't believe he was choking out guys 100 pounds heavier than him with magical moves. That said, it's Marquardt's fight to lose. He's very well rounded and powerful; and can dictate where this fight goes, or doesn't go. If his ego gets in the way, he could get subbed. If he plays it smart, he will win. The problem is convincing him that grinding out a win is OK. Unfortunately, the guy wants to put on a show. Don't fall for it Nate. You may still KO the guy, just don't risk too much.

 

Light Heavyweight bout:  Brandon Vera vs.  Krzysztof Soszynski

Another tough call. Vera is a trainwreck, just getting it back together against weaker 205 opponents after falling apart in the heavyweight division. Soszynski is pushing himself by taking this fight and way be in over his head. The Polish Experiment is evolving quickly, showing power in his last fight. but has he made enough improvement to defeat a Vera caliber guy? I'm a bit tired of hearing about talented Hawaiian guys saying they finally see the light and are now committed to training and fighting. Vera is no Penn. I'll take a flyer on an improving Krzysztof.

 

No comments: