Thursday, January 7, 2010

Video Game Review: Uncharted 2

So, I got the perfect gift this Christmas. I am a PS3 gamer and love
the NHL. EA Sports NHL 2010 fits that pretty well. The only problem is
that I suck at the latest hockey games, and it infuriates me. Am I the
kid that leaves and takes his toy home when he can't win? Absolutely.
As a general rule, I don't play if I it's not fun' (golfing excluded).
I've played most of the NHL hockey video games since Nintendo Ice
Hockey and Genesis Blades of Steel. No problems with the simplistic
games, but the problem with growing-up Atari 2600 is that I am mildly
retarded with the latest controllers. D-pad, two sticks, 4 buttons, 4
triggers, start & select; that's a lot more than a stick and a button.

Anyway, I returned NHL 10 to Gamestop yesterday. And that feels like
last week, by the way, since I was up late playing the replacement
game Uncharted 2. Wow. I have not been too impressed with very many
games lately. The promise of the PS3 has not really been fulfilled in
my mind, until now. Uncharted 2 is an action game with a story that's
modern day Indiana Jones. But where it really shines is graphics,
story and playability. It's a beautiful game with highly interactive
environments. The first scene of the game blew me away; a very
realistic snowy mountain. The characters are interesting because the
dialog/acting is entertaining. The cut scenes are integrated in the
game often and very well. The effect is like acting out the main
character in an action movie, rather than a prompted cut scene that
only happens between levels. Playability is great. There is Tomb
Raider-esque climbing, jumping and light problem solving, but it's not
done to where I'm frustrated. (In fact, I'd like it a little harder)

I've only put 4-hours into this game, but it's great so far. Enough
that I'm willing to recommend it. It could end abruptly, with a bad
storyline or drag on with repetitive levels; but I'd still tell you to
try this game out 'cause it's that good up to this point.

No comments: