Monday, January 11, 2010

Weakend Roundup

So, both of my teams are struggling. After beating arguably the best
teams in the league: Sharks and Capitals, the Kings have opened a
7-game homestand with back-to-back losses. Bummer. Meanwhile the
Senators are freefalling with 4 consecutive losses. Spezza and
Alfredsson are out, but add Michalek, Winchester and Kuba to that
list. Goaltending sucks (what else is new.?!). Bad goaltending and top
scorers on the IR are bad news. They had a players only meeting after
the last loss, and will hopefully rally the troops for the rest of a
5-game road trip. I'm not holding my breath, since Ottawa has the
second worst road record in the league.

Saw the WEC fights last night. Well, all but the main event. While my
buddy was nice enough to DVR the fight card and invite me over, he
also didn't record extra time. Golden rule of sports TV, always DRV an
extra 30 minutes. My TIVO asks me if I want to record an extra 30 mins
on all live sports events, kinda cool. But my friend didn't have
Directv, but that's also why he has Versus and I don't...

I love the WEC. It was a good card with Faber, Brown and Varner vs.
Henderson headlining. Urijah was in front of a very friendly home
crowd in Sacramento. He beat a very tough Assuncao. A good showing
after a long layoff from hand injuries. Brown was coming in off the
loss of his belt, and put a beat down on some poor dude I've never
heard of. I saw part of the first round of Varner/Henderson. Varner
was in control, but I read that he lost. Sweet. I am one of many
people that hate that guy.

Tonight is UFC Fight Night. More fights to watch, sounds good to me.
There are two UFC events in February, but I'm looking forward to the
one in March. UFC 111, I believe. It has GSP/Hardy and Mir/Carwin. Two
title fights. Good stuff.

No comments: