Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gladiator Rock 'n Run - Review

It was a muddy weekend. The Gladiator Rock 'n Run lived up to the hype as a fun event. There were many people in costume, my team included. I was glad that it did not seem like an overly serious event, lots of people were simply content to finish the course. Nitro himself was there to start of each of the waves.
The course itself was very spectator friendly. My kids were able to see me in the muddiest section of the course, as a sort of grassy infield bordered this part of the course. Most of the mud was flying on the Slip & Slide, mud crawl, & mud hills which were in the last half of the course.
The staged start times really helped avoid bunching-up at the obstacles. It still happened, but it was manageable. The cargo net climb over a cargo container simply took too long and a huge back-up happened there. Granted, I was not going for time, so the slow nature of some of the obstacles didn't really phase me. Probably the most difficult part was the Fool's Spools. You had to jump over/through large wooden spools. It required a decent vertical jump and some coordination. Some of the shorter participants skipped this obstacle.
The negatives? There was a water station but the weather was nice and cool, and the short nature of the course didn't really warrant a water station. Also, the Buddha's Burden was supposed to be a 40-yard, sand bag carry. It turned out to be more like 15-feet. The wrecking ball area wasn't very challenging and the tire sections were fairly short.
I would more than recommend this run to any first timer, interested in trying a mud run. It had a very fun atmosphere. The obstacles are not too challenging. The distance is perfect to anyone that doesn't "like to run". I think there is another Gladiator Run in Los Angeles for August. My wife was intrigued by watching the event and will probably join me for this next one. So, get off your couch and get dirty.

No comments: