Sunday, April 29, 2007

Roller = NHL

We lost our roller game this evening. 5-4. But it didn't feel very close. We came back from a 2-0 deficit and were trailing by 2 in the third. I ran out of gas. We had a roster of 6 skaters. Too long of shifts for me. I like to go really hard and take shorter shifts. I was really losing effectiveness near the end of the game. I had a ton of chances early. Had 3 solid tip-ins. One rang the post, one hit the crossbar and the other was just wide. I also nailed the goalie in the mask with a wrister and we nearly scored on the rebound. Not getting it done cost us the game.

I have a sinking feeling that this is truly the last season for this team. We lost our best skater to a back injury. That's a huge loss. It was caused by a nasty check in the playoffs at the end of last season. One of our girls backed out mid-season last year; and her replacement missed tonight's game with back spasms from a check into the boards. Yeah, I play goonie roller hockey, which is a step below the NHL. We've lost 2 players. If our girls are losing heart, there goes the skill line. I don't blame them, really. I'm about their height but have the luxury of 30-50 extra pounds. The taller and larger guys tend to cross-check me right across the upper-back. And I usually take a stick to the cage every other game. It's not really worth it for them. But I really like our team, and we have fun outside of the rink too. Maybe we should join a bowling league instead...

No comments: