Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bellator, JT Money, & UFC 113

Stoked for the Bellator Season 2 lightweight semi-final tonight. In my eyes, they are the next WEC. A small organization, that is putting together quality events without PPV. I like the tournament style set-up that they use, like the Dream/Pride Grand Prix tournaments. It's great for building a fighter's exposure. For the finalists, you get to see the same guy fight three times in under 6 months. The best part is that they are on Fox Sports Net. Not as obscure as Versus or ESPN Deportes. I don't know how Bellator got such a good TV deal, but it's best to not question free programming.
 
Roger Huerta and Toby Imada are fighting. And lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez faces Josh Neer. It's not a title fight, however, at a catchweight of 160. That's 3 of the better lightweights, not in the UFC, on one fight card.
 
Also, Jesse Taylor fights Thales Leites on Friday in Maximum Fighting Championships (MFC). Yeah, pretty obscure. I've only seen a few MFC highlights on Inside MMA. JT Money is interesting to follow, as life without the UFC can be tough.
 
UFC 113 in Montreal this Saturday. It's the much hyped Shogun vs Machida rematch. I'm not a fan of re-matches. I saw the first fight live at Staples Center, and it was close. I had it 48-47 Machida. I think the commentators sway the viewing audience quite a bit. Seeing a fight live is totally different. I don't argue that the judges should also have video monitors. MMA judging is inconsistent at best.
 
Koscheck vs Daley and Kimbo vs. Mitrione are also hyped fights. Don't care too much about these guys. I kinda like Daley as a KO artist with a bit mouth. A smart Kos will wrestle out a win, though.
 
Sam Stout vs Jeremy Stevens and Cote vs Belcher round out the card. These fights could be good. I'm a Stout fan. He always brings it. Cote and Belcher are a battle of guys you haven't seen in a while. Cote is coming off a knee injury. Still, I think these lesser hyped fights will probably be more entertaining.

No comments: