Thursday, May 13, 2010

Les Habitants

YES! Hearing about the Canadiens victory last night made my day/week/month and salvaged the Cup Playoffs for me. I cannot remember EVER rooting for Montreal. I think that has to do with the lingering ties to Patty Roy, but I guess I'm over it since they haven't mentioned that guy (surprisingly) on the telecast. I TIVO'd the game, since I wasn't home until 8:00. But I had the scoring updates going on my phone. My dream of #1 & #2  in the West along with #7 & #8 in the East is taking shape. Philly is one win from coming back 0-3. That's pretty crazy in itself.
What do the Penguins do now? Why did they collapse? Did Crosby pull a LeBron? I heard all the questions while browsing the NHL related websites last night. How about giving the Canadiens a little credit for limiting Crosby and Halak doing the rest. I'm not saying that it wasn't an upset. But it wasn't any Miracle on Ice, either. (The series against the Caps was more Mission Impossible, in my mind) The fact that the Senators pushed the Pens, despite weak goaltending, was a sign that all was not perfect in Pittsburgh. The Sens blew 3rd period leads and had OT losses. Ottawa lost the first round match-up as much as the Penguins won it. I love my Senators, but a high performing Championship team should not have had close games with a banged-up Alfredsson & Co.
Bob Gainey now has a bit or redemption for signing the smallest free agents out there over last summer. Gionta & Cammalleri? They may be small but are gamers. Gomez and Gill? I like all these guys individually, but wouldn't necessarily throw them on the same team. Bottom line is that they all performed in the post-season.
The good news for Cinderella is that Halak is the best goaltender left in the playoffs. It's not unrealistic for the dream to continue. I'm pulling for them. Well, that and the Sharks to lose to Chicago...
 
 
 

No comments: