Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Old Dog, New Tricks

I've been offered a spot to play on a beginner, adult ice hockey league, on several different occasions. But for whatever reason, it just didn't work: childcare, league fees & recession, you name it. It looks like I got a pretty solid lead last Friday. It is a beginner league where my wife already plays, team sounds casual enough, no childcare scheduling conflicts... this may just happen.
 
My hockey experience consists of watching hundreds of hours of NHL gameplay, and playing lots of roller hockey. Actual ice time? Not so much. I usually skate once a year, when my family rents out a rink during the holidays for some informal play. I've got a solid 8-10 hours of skating under my belt over the last 12 years.
 
So, when my friend offered to go play some pickup with me, I figured it was a good idea. It wasn't. It was an open pickup and the skill level varied. But it didn't vary much on the extreme low end. I was clearly the worst skater out there and my linemates, while better than me, were not good either. Overly-serious-pickup-guy had a stick throwing tantrum after 4-5 shifts of playing defense behind my line. It wasn't exactly the confidence boost I was looking for.
 
 
 
 

No comments: