Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Heater Wants Out.!?

Word on the street today is that Dany Heatley wants out of Ottawa. This sucks. There was much speculation about Spezza being traded before his no trade clause kicks-in, July 1. But this was out of the blue. I've read that he doesn't see eye to eye with coach Cory Clouston. After absorbing that conjecture, I don't doubt it. Clouston rewards the guys that skate hard and play with guts. Heatley does not use his size in that fashion, on a consistent basis.

Ultimately, I'm not so sure that any team can really accomodate him. He's making $7.5MM for the next 5 years. That's huge money in a recession and salary cap era. He wants to head to the Western Conference. The LA Kings were mentioned. It would be a big lift for the Kings to have a superstar in the building. I love Heatley and he's one of the best pure snipers in the game today. I would love to see him in play live in my backyard. But I don't think it's the best thing for the Kings right now.

I think the Kings need to follow Dustin Brown's example of playing hard. Heatley would be more of an expensive distraction. The best thing for all involved is Heater making good on his contract. Stick it out in Ottawa. Learn to play a physical brand of hockey at the possible expense of your annual goal total. It will make him and the Senators better.

That said, I would order a "Heatley" Kings jersey in a heartbeat.

No comments: