Thursday, June 4, 2009

MMA & Kung Fu

I've been pretty occupied with hockey, well it is the playoffs after all. But several things to mention on the MMA front. Faber vs. Brown II is this Sunday on WEC 41. So watch it or at least set the TIVO. I'm a pretty big Faber fan, but Brown is the real deal. I'm just hoping for a solid fight. Faber has gotten away with some less than textbook moves due to his extreme conditioning and superior athleticism. But Brown has dynamite in his hands and Faber needs to show a little more respect and discipline. We'll see.  Several other interesting fighters on the card: Jose Aldo, Cub Swanson, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone, Jens Pulver and Manny Gamburyan. Haven't seen Swanson in a while. Cerrone always puts on a show. Pulver and Gamburyan are both former UFC guys and highlight reel knockouts waiting to happen.
 
There's also a Strikeforce fight on Showtime: Lawler vs. Shields. I don't get Showtme. I'd love to see this fight, but not so much that I go out of my way to find someone wth Showtime and invite myself over. Also on this fight card: Arlovski/Rogers, Nick Diaz/Scott Smith. Diaz/Smith sounds interesting, but I predict a Diaz submission. Hope that Smith knocks him out though...
 
I also just learned of the passing of David Carradine. I guess he was shooting a movie in Thailand and his death is currently ruled as an apparent suicide. That hurts. I remember Kung Fu from when I was pretty young and watching it on our huge cabinet-style TV. In a strange way, the passive and introspective Caine character had a big impact on me. A big reason that I like the Kill Bill movies is David Carradine. RIP.
 
 

No comments: