Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Artest

Just kidding. I don't follow the NBA that closely. But plenty of NHL free agents have found new deals and new homes. I was mostly interested in Kings/Senators/Red Wings deals.
 
The Senators did make a move and signed Alexei Kovalev to a two-year, $10MM deal. I guess this is the secondary scoring they've always wanted. I'm not saying that Kovalev isn't a talented guy. But his inconsistency is legendary. After having to deal with Emery & Heatley, you would have thought the Sens to be sensitive about player character? I think they are doomed to have these problems, much like the Flyers with goaltenders.
 
The Kings traded for Ryan Smyth. They gave away two pretty good puck moving defensemen and a 4th rounder. I thought they paid a lot for an older, character guy that isn't a premiere scorer. But no question what the Kings are getting. Locker room leadership, hardwork and 50-60 points. A pretty safe and smart deal for a younger team. They also got Rob Scuderi. I think he's a solid defender. A good move. Otherwise, a bit quiet for the Kings organization.
 
The Red Wings lost Hossa to the Hawks. He went all-in this time around and signed a 12-year deal or something ridiculous like that. Good for the Hawks. They have a nice, young and dynamic team. Samuelsson left for more money to Vancouver. I'm not sure where the Wings will replace this offense, but they usually find a way.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: